These are some of the photos taken and dive logs written mostly by myself or Jacques Alberts who operated in Jeffreys Bay under the African Waters Scuba brand since 2011. Jacques introduced me to SCUBA diving, and taught me everthing about diving. I include these photos and stories here, so that you can get an idea of what it looks like underwater in our area.

On Saturday 8 Oct we did an early morning launch with a light easterly blowing. Warm water and 9m viz awaited the divers as we  made our way to Flat Rock reef. Some nice Red Romans and other reef fish were spotted.

On 30 September 2011 our dive fest kicked off with cloudy, windy weather and only one launch was done due to bad visibility. On Saturday morning the weather had cleared and so had the visability. Divers enjoyed 18 deg water with 8 to 10m viz.

thumb_DSC_5942markedLog entry by Paul van Jaarsveld

At last it was weekend and by 6pm some amping desperate divers from all over pulled into the clubhouse. Minutes before, the Ski boat club were going about their usual braai, and the bar was open, but I got funny glares when I asked them if they thought it was a good idea to do a launch.

thumb_DSC_5938markedReport and photos by Paul van Jaarsveld

Sunday morning at 8am saw a full launch, with the boat filled to capacity. The ocean was pretty much flat. Due to wave like sandbanks that formed over the weekend, getting the boat into deep enough water was more of an effort than actually making it past the breakers. The surf in the bay was really small. We were going to do a shallow dive on Discovery Channel, but due to the viz that did not look great close to shore due to algae, we ventured a little further to Jagged Edge to find a shallow piece of reef with better viz. On the open sea, the SW wind blew at 19 kts which resulted in a similar surface current to Friday night, but just in the opposite direction. Neville took the line and the rest of us did a near negative entry to elimanate drift.

More recent photos of Jeffreys Bay Reefs.

Please note:

I can't guarantee visibility or the weather, but will endeavour to choose the best conditions. If you booked a dive and don't show then you will still be liable to pay for the dive. If I cancel the dive because of bad weather, you will get the credit to use on another dive. Air fill service available at R 100 per air fill. I can provide a DM / Dive buddy if you don't have one at an additional R 350. See full Rates